Monthly Archives: February 2013

Notes on a FIELDSET height, Cascading Style Sheets, HTML, CSS

I’ve had some issues recently trying to get a fieldset pixel perfect, some things just didn’t add up (and I’m not just talking about the height and things overlapping here).

So I thought I’d make some notes on the subject:

The first place to start is the box model, a height of 100px is the inner height, the border, the legend text size and its padding are additional to this. I really hadn’t given any thought to the legend having padding!
Another thing to note is the border size isn’t consistent across browsers.
Generally it doesn’t matter unless you are trying to make two non fixed height side by side fieldsets the same height, if you do then JavaScript is the best option.

Notes on the 50 percent DIV, Cascading Style Sheets, HTML, CSS #dev #web

I’ve often been annoyed by CSS, nothing new there, but getting two side by side DIVs is often a pain I’ve had to endure.
In this post I’m going to make some notes that will hopefully make the next time less painful.

100% Width
The first one to remember is DIVs default to display: block, which means they take up 100% of the width by default (which is width: auto). From what I have read, specifying 100% width is a bad idea and it is not needed either.

Float it
I can just float: left | right can’t I?
Well, this changes our display: block DIV into display: inline-block (or so it appears), so the containing DIV would need to also be display: inline-block to correctly size to the content.
Older browsers don’t support display: inline-block, so I like to avoid this option.

Offset it
If you think about blocks, a DIV block can be positioned anywhere and notably relative to the starting position of the first using position: relative. To position two 50% DIV blocks next to each other you simply offset the second one like so:
position: relative;
top: -100%;
left: 50%;
This will of course need the heights to be equal or indeed fixed.

I’m still waiting for the right way to go about this, but for now this is what I’ve come up with and I hope it helps give you (and me) ideas in the future.

DIY rear light mount from the rack #cycling

Having no visible seat post to mount a second rear light caused some head scratching. The rack has a light mounted on it, but I wanted another.
Here’s what I came up with
A spare rack part, a bolt, an old Burley connector (plastic pipe and a drill would be an alternative) and a standard light bracket.
The rack part (struggling to think what they are called) is bolted with two bolts to the rack, preventing it from moving in any direction. The Burley connector is bolted to the rack part which also has the light bracket holding it from moving.

Here’s the fitted results

It vibrates a little, so a more stiff joining piece of metal would be better (the rack part). The Burley connector could be cut down an inch too.
But it works.

Introducing Rudy the RANS Fusion ST with a Rohloff Speedhub #cycling

Meet Rudy:
Named after the dinosaur in Ice Age 3.
You will notice he is a crank forward style bicycle which makes you feel a bit gangster as you cruise along. Rudy is a RANS Fusion ST (step through), the RANS Cruz is very similar, but has curved tubing. Rather than the normal derailleur gears, he’s kitted out with a mint condition Rohloff Speedhub. I’ve written about my other Rohloff before, that one is old and well used, this one is barely used, newer (hence lower friction seals) and is a fancy red colour. I bought Rudy as a complete bike second hand (but barely used) and I made a couple of changes, but nothing massive.

Introductions over, let’s go through some of the issues he had.

Notice anything wrong here?
Yes, the blocks are on the wrong sides 20130202-153615.jpg
But that is not all, notice anything here?
Yes, the pads were for different blocks and didn’t fit properly on one side. Closer inspection and the left and right are different, might be a manufacturer trying to prevent generic inserts being used as replacements
Anyway, I swapped them for a different set and all is well
Notice the bit of gaffer tape on the rim, I use that to toe-in my pads if I’m not feeling dexterous or i’m not having much luck at the time.
The second one shows Rudy is covered in road filth already – from the first test ride – mudguards are on the shopping list.

Next one, notice anything wrong?
Yes, apart from the colour of the pedal, it is on the wrong side, which leads to the pedals loosening as you ride and eventually falling off. Why’s that? Check this
Yep, they are a LHS crankset! Doh!

The fitted chain tensioner (required because of length of chain and no eccentric bottom bracket) was rubbish, fortunately I had a decent one i picked up second hand from eBay a while back, so I fitted that
It’s far better and meant I could fit a standard triple chainring and manually choose a chainring (should I want to)
Those are 152mm cranks so my midget wife can comfortably spin without hurting her knees.
All this of course meant I needed to extend the chain slightly
Can you spot the shiny new KMC X8 quick links joining it? I hope there will be enough chain remaining for the donor chain to fit Bluebell, hopefully nothing wasted. Worth mentioning, I like KMC chains, though the quick links are anything but unless you use a pair of pliers.

That’s it pretty much, a few other accessories fitted and I was cruising in style (or as close to it as I get).

I’ve since tweaked a few more things, snapped the mirror off, fitted a new one, etc. The wife took a quick test ride today and the summary of her thoughts:

  • seat is comfortable
  • both feet can touch the floor at once
  • knees aren’t too high, so no knee strain
  • gears change without fuss
  • great gear range and very low bottom gear
  • no pressure / strain on hands, wrists or shoulders
  • it’s cool and different
  • I didn’t feel as stupid as I thought I might
  • I try not to think about how much it cost